Did you know that as much as 35% of your heating systems operating cost can be lost through leaks in your ductwork? Green Horizon Heating & Air Conditioning performs air duct sealing and insulation services throughout the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.
Air Duct Sealing
Having your building’s ducts sealed professionally not only reduces your energy costs, but it’s also very good for the environment. Having your ducts cleaned at the same time improves your home’s overall health. Leaky ducts can introduce unwanted air and contaminants into your heating and air conditioning system and distribute them throughout your home. Having your air ducts cleaned on a regular basis is a great way to reduce airborne dust particles and allergens and to improve your overall indoor air-quality.
What difference does duct sealing make?
In houses with forced-air heating and cooling systems, ducts distribute conditioned air throughout the house. In a typical house, however, about 20 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts. The result is higher utility bills and difficulty keeping the house comfortable, no matter how the thermostat is set.
How do you know that your home has poorly performing ducts?
- you have high summer and winter utility bills;
- you have rooms that are difficult to heat and cool;
- you dust and the dust comes right back
- you have excessive indoor air quality issues and dust
- you have stuffy rooms that never seem to feel comfortable;
- your ducts are located in an attic, crawlspace, or the garage;
- you find tangled or kinked flexible ducts in your system.
Many homes and commercial buildings built before 1990 are dramatically under-insulated. By adequately insulating your home, you could achieve as much as 40% savings on your energy bills. Improved insulation also helps to reduce noise and makes your home or office more comfortable.
- Fiberglass, cotton, and cellulose insulation are among the best traditional materials used for insulation in North Carolina. These materials are well suited either for new construction projects or for retrofitting in an existing building. They can be blown into an attic or used to densely pack walls.
- Spray foam insulation is a great alternative to some of the traditional materials. The advantages of using spray foam include the fact that it both insulates and helps to seal the space by expanding to fill into difficult to reach areas. In some cases, we have seen energy savings of more than 50% following the use of spray foam insulation. There are two types of foam available. Open-cell foam is less dense and expands up to 150 times the volume in its liquid state. Closed-cell foam, on the other hand, is more rigid, helps to repel water, and can improve the building’s structural integrity.
Green Horizon One Hour is the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area’s leading expert for improving the energy efficiency of your home. Call (919) 321-9985 to book your energy efficiency consultation.