Home Maintenance To-Do List for the Summer
As weather patterns change from time to time within specific months, it is very important to prepare well enough to meet each weather condition. This means your maintenance checklist for winter must differ from that of summer since they come with different characteristics.
With warm weather conditions, it is definitely time for outings, vacations, and one important thing, maintaining your home. You shouldn’t wait until your home becomes a mess before you contract a professional to do it for you. It is easier and costs less to timely maintain your home. There are so many things you can do yourself when applying a maintenance checklist for warm weather conditions.
Since the weather comes with heat, you must ensure that your air conditioner is in good shape to be able to keep your home cool. Having done with the air conditioner or fan, you also have to check the smoke detector and that of carbon monoxide to ensure they are working properly. You check the windows and clean them frequently to ensure proper ventilation.
The previous season might have affected your paint, so you can apply paint where necessary to give your home a fresh look. Also, apply polish to wooden floors and don’t forget to mop or scrub areas which have accrued more dirt. Now, you can check for leakages. Make sure you repair all leakages and seal every hole which can allow water into the house during a fall season.
Since it is a warm season, you have to do that as a preparation towards a rainy or fall season. You may have experienced some form of leakages from the roof during the fall season, so now that the weather is warm, you need to take advantage of it to check and repair if possible by yourself. You need to also check on all other installations being exterior or interior to ensure they work properly.
There are many things to consider in a proper maintenance checklist in the warm weather condition. However, there are pertinent tasks you really need to address. Some of these are inspecting home installations, maintaining yard growth and ensuring your garage door is in good shape.
1. Maintain Yard Growth
Lawn and flowers are very beautiful and add a nice touch to your home, however, they can be very tough to maintain.
If care is not taken, it can get out of hand and reach a point that you need to get rid of it.
Here are some points you can consider when maintaining yard growth.
• In warm weather conditions, lawns should not be cut too short. When lawns are cut too short, their ability to grow is lessened, and since it is during a warm condition, you might lose that grass. So avoid cutting lawns too short.
• Regular watering of the grass is very necessary but it should not be watered too much. Since moisture in the air is reduced during warm weather and water in the soil is lost to the atmosphere, it is good to apply the right amount of water to promote growth.
• Fertilizer application should not be too much, considering that too much of it can put stress on the grass and thus make it less healthy.
• You also have to ensure that you remove all kinds of weeds from the lawn so that they don’t parasite on the grass.
• Summer comes with a bright atmosphere, so your flowers should too. Make sure you trim the flowers and hedges and water them as recommended, to keep them looking alive.
2. Inspect Home Installations
Inspection of home installations in maintenance checklists during warm weather is vital. All installations such as water appliances, air conditioners, sewage tanks and others must be checked, and faulty ones must be repaired as you welcome the summer.
Here are some of the things to check for.
• Since you are welcoming warmer weather, you must ensure your air conditioner is in good shape with filters changed.
• Smoke detectors must also be serviced and maintained in order to function well.
• You also need to check your doors thoroughly and seal all spaces in-between the door and frame.
• Windows must be cleaned of all dust and opened for fresh air when needed.
• The fire extinguishers should not be left out. In warm weather, fire spreads quickly, so it is important to service or replace your fire extinguishers in case of any fire.
3. Test and Lubricate Garage Door
Lubricate the garage door to avoid corrosion. As air mixes with water, rust forms, so during the summer months if lubrication is not applied to the door, it can become stuck and can be challenging to open.
Lubrication ensures free opening and prevents rusting. However if the garage door requires more of a professional hand, you need to hire someone to ensure it is well serviced and maintained.
4. Check the Septic Tanks and Drainage
Never forget to check the drainage system and septic tank as well. As you are coming from a rainy spring season, you need to check the drainage system and gutters and remove all items stuck from it. Also, the septic tank must be repaired of any breakages or holes which can bring about leakages since the stormy weather might have had negative effects on it.
Maintain your Garden Griller
Summer is the time to have fun after a long cold winter. This means the griller may be needed and that is why it is important to service it.
Ensuring the right maintenance checklist for a particular season is very important to ensure your safety and comfort. You don’t have to wait to say “Had I known…” in which case it may be too late.
You need to employ the right mechanisms, materials, and skills to tackle your situation. Where your skills and ability is limited, just employ the service of a professional to lend a helping hand. Also, in executing a maintenance checklist, first, address very critical aspects of it, such as sealing leakages which can weaken your building.
Check on installations and the general environment like lawn cutting, and check your garage to ensure the safety of your family in the upcoming months. If this is too much of a task for you, it may be better if you hire someone to help you.
For professional assistance with your summer checklist contact Green Horizon in Durham, NC at (919) 323-8705.