To get energy efficient lighting experts working for you, call One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning today for service in Durham. Check out our coupons page by clicking here to discover a selection of valuable exclusive savings. Dial (919) 321-9985 today!
Read recent reviews from your neighbors throughout Durham by clicking here to visit our testimonials page.
An Important Cog In Your Energy Efficiency Wheel
Did you know that the average American household has 45 light bulbs? That represents roughly 11% of your energy bills going towards lighting your home. Choosing the right lighting solutions can dramatically reduce your energy use and significantly lower your electricity bills. Furthermore, energy efficient lighting generates less heat so that your air conditioning system doesn’t need to work as hard to compensate for it.
We are often asked to explain the differences between the different kinds of lighting options available. Below is a brief description of some of the most popular choices.
The traditional incandescent light bulb, whose invention is popularly attributed to Thomas Edison, was the most commonly used source of artificial lighting for much of the last century. Today, these are the least energy efficient options available. Only 10% of the total energy consumed by incandescent bulbs go to generating light, the remaining 90% is wasted. Consequently, many governments around the world, including the US, have introduced measures to phase them out.
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)
A cousin of the traditional full-size fluorescent lights, CSL combine superior energy efficiency and the convenience of incandescent light bulbs. Another benefit of CFLs is that they are far more durable than traditional light bulbs lasting up to 10 times longer.
Light Emitting Diodes (LED)
LEDs are more energy efficient then compact fluorescent lights. They are also even more durable, lasting up to 50,000 hours. Although they are a more expensive option, their superior energy efficiency and durability make them a very cost-effective choice.
Electron Stimulated Luminescence Lights (ESL)
The latest in energy efficient lighting options, ESLs are 70% more inefficient incandescent lights and can last up to 11,000 hours. Another benefit that ESLs have over compact fluorescent lights is that they are mercury free making disposal easier.
Adding Dimmer Switches To Your Home
In addition to providing greater lighting flexibility, adding dimmer switches to your home is a great way to significantly improve the energy efficiency of your lighting. When used with incandescent lights, dimmer switches do not significantly improve their efficiency. However, when they are used with CFLs or LEDs, less energy is wasted on unnecessary lighting.
If you are looking to make your home or business as energy efficient as possible through better lighting options, contact the professionals at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning for the very best in excellence in service. Call us today at (919) 321-9985 to book your free consultation in Durham or surrounding areas.